COLLECTED BIBLIOGRAPHY OF COMPARATIVE LABOR HISTORY
Sean Purdy asked the list for possible titles for a comparative labor
course. He then arranged the titles in the following bibliography.
Later, Sandy Jacobs added two valuable additions. Many thanx to Sean Purdy
for this excellent contribution.
Seith Wigderson, H-Labor Moderator
Below is the collected bibliography of comparative labour history sources
that I received from H-Labor subscribers. I did a preliminary library
search and added a few more sources.
Thanks to Seth, Rick Halpern, Chris Jackson, Avi Chomsky, Mike Haynes,
Julie Greene, Joan Hac, Eileen Boris, Doug Deal, John Stobo, Thomas
Winter, Jim Van Leemput, Larry Haiven and any others for their help.
In solidarity, Sean Purdy, Queen's University
Comparative Labour History - Preliminary Bibliography
- Bergquist, Charles
Labor in Latin America: Comparative Essays on Chile, Argentina
Venezuela, and Colombia.
Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 1986.
- Bright, Charles and Susan Harding eds. Statemaking and Social
Movements (Michigan 1984).
- Cronin, James and Carmen Sirianni eds. Work, Community and Power:
The Experience of Labor In Europe and America, 1900-1925
- Du Bois, Ellen Carroll and Vicki Ruiz eds. Unequal Sisters: A
Multicultural Reader in U.S. Women's History (New York 1990).
- Edwards, P.K. Conflict at Work (Oxford 1986).
- Fredrickson, George. White Supremacy: A Comparative Study in
American and South African History (1980)
- Frenkel, Stephen ed. Organized Labour in the Asia-Pacific Region:
a Comparative Study of Trade Unionism in Nine Countries (Ithaca
- Geary, Dick. European Labour Protest 1848-1939 (London 1981).
- Greenberg, Stanley. Race and State in Capitalist Development:
Comparative Perspective (New Haven 1980).
- Guerin-Gonzalez Camille and Carl Strikwerda eds. The Politics of
Immigrant Workers: Labor Activism and Migration in the World
Economy Since 1830 (1993)
- Haimson, Leopold and Charles Tilly eds. Strikes, Wars and
Revolutions in an International Perspective Strike Waves in the
Late Nineteenth and Early Twentieth Centuries (Cambridge 1989).
- Haydu, Jeffrey. Between Craft and Class: Skilled Workers and
Factory Politics in the United States and Britain, 1890-1922
- Johnson, R. "Thompson, Genovese and Socialist-Humanist History,"
p Vol.6 (1978) and Responses in HW Vol.7-9.
Workshop Vol.5 and Responses in HW Vol.5,6,7.?
- Katznelson, Ira and Aristide Zolberg eds. Working Class
Formation: Nineteenth Century Patterns in Western Europe and the
U.S. (Princeton 1986).
- Kealey, Greg and Greg Patmore eds. Canadian and Australian Labour
History: Towards a Comparative Perspective (Sydney 1990).
- Laslett, John. Nature's Noblemen: The Fortunes of the Independent
Collier in Scotland and the American Midwest, 1855-1889.
- Levine, Rhonda ed. Bringing Class Back In: Contemporary and
Historical Perspectives (Boulder 1991).
- McKibbon, Ross. "Why there was no Marxism in Great Britain,"
English Historical Review Vol.XCIX (1984).
- Mommsen, Wolfgang and Husung, Hans Gerhard eds. The Development
of Trade Unions in Germany and Great Britain (London 1985).
- Pahl, R.E. On work: historical, comparative and theoretical
approaches (Oxford 1988).
- Ramirez, Bruno. On the Move: French Canadian and Italian Migrant
Workers in the Atlantic Economy, 1860-1914 (Toronto 1993)
- Safa, Helen and Eleanor Leacock. Women's Work: Development and
the Division of Labor by Gender (South Hadley 1986).
- Sirianni, Carmen. "Workers' control in the era of World War One:
a comparative analysis of the European Experience" Theory and
Society Vol.9 (1980).
- Skocpol, Theda et.al eds. Bringing the State Back In (Cambridge
- Taylor, Andrew. Trade Unions and Politics: A Comparative
Introduction (New York,1989).
- Tilly, Charles. European Revolutions, 1492-1992 (Oxford 1993).
- Tolliday, Stephen and Jonathan Zeitlin eds. Shop Floor Bargaining
and the State: historical and comparative perspectives (Cambridge
- Van Der Linden, Marcel. "The national integration of the European
working classes: exploring the causal configuration,"
International Review of Social History Vol.33 (1988).
- Ward, Kathryn. Women's Work and Global Restructuring (Ithaca
- Wrigley, Chris ed. Challenges of Labour: Central and Western Europe,
1917-1920 (London 1993).
- Zeitlin, Jonathan ed. The automobile industry and its workers:
between Fordism and Flexibility (London 1986).
- Zeitlin, Jonathan. The Power to Manage?: employers and industrial
relations in comparative historical perspective (New York 1991).
- S.M. Jacoby, ed., Masters to Managers: Historical and Comparative
Perspectives on American Emplyers (Columbia Univ. Press 1991)
- S.M. Jacoby, ed., The Workers of Nations: Industrial Relations in a
Global Economy (forthcoming fall 1994, Oxford Univ. Press).
- "S.M. Jacoby" IDR0SMJ@UCLAMVS.BITNET